Monday, May 19, 2008

Hans' gift

I consider dandelions to be a flower. Now, anyway. My son is 2 & 1/2 and is the sweetest little boy on earth. After getting up on the wrong side, I, the cranky mommy, went to get yesterday's mail. upon returning to the house, my son was waiting for me just inside the front door. He handed me from his warm pocket a shriveled-up yellow flower of particular beauty. He was shy as he pressed into my hand the squished gem, his pudgy little hand soft in mine. As I hugged and thanked him for his gift, he smiled and tried to say, "I love you." I didn't cry, because I didn't want him to become confused and think he had done something wrong. I just hugged him again and gave the flowers a "dwink of water" as he calls it, in a little baby-food jar.
You can't buy those type of mother's day flowers anywhere. They're priceless.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So sweet, Jenn! My boys LOVE dandelions and the fact that they can pick them whenever they want.

Jes said...

Jenn-
I am so glad you are blogging now. Awww...I love this story...what a sweetheart!