Monday, May 19, 2008

Sirens


My ears have been ringing on and off for a good two weeks.
The persistant chord of a very high A# and a C# not found in the range of a piano drive me near insanity. If a dog could hear it, I'm sure it would yowl in protest. Deer would run.
I finally asked myself, "why is this happening? Am I going deaf? Am I dying of some rare disease? Where is my chocolate?"
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
My daughter is teething. She's pretty sure she's dying, but it's just teeth. She either has absolutely NO pain tolerance, (plus a kick for being dramatic), or it really is quite painful to the general population to get eyeteeth and molars at the same time. She will not let me set her down without throwing herself upon the floor (thunking her head pretty well), and so she just hangs on me and screams bloody murder right into, you guessed it, my ear. Little Darling, we call her. She is, really. I feel bad for her. It's gotta hurt, don't you think? She's tired, because even with Tylenol and OraJel, she is highly miserable most of any 24 hour period. Can't sleep. Neither can we. I just lie awake and listen to the melodious sound of.... sirens.

No comments: